Agency Resource Guide
Our office has four divisions to serve your land use and development interests. These include:
- Building Safety and Inspections
- Planning and Zoning
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Community Development Block Grant Program
We pledge expertise in our respective fields and our integrity and respect in our work with you. Our aspiration is that the beauty of our natural resources and the strategic maintenance and growth of the built environment would yield a vibrant City where families desire to live, work, buy and play.
The Building Safety Office supports the quality of life for residents and visitors in Hopewell through enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC). The plan review, permit, and inspection process promotes safety in the design and construction, rehabilitation, and re-use of buildings.
This Department provides the following services:
- Alley and Street Vacations
- Building Plan Review and Permitting
- Certificates of Appropriateness
- Conditional Use Permits
- Geographic Information Systems
- Property Maintenance Enforcement
- Rental Inspection Program
- Site Plan Review
- Special Exceptions/Special Use Permits
- Subdivision Review
- Vacant Building Registry
- Zoning Amendments, Certification and Interpretation
- Zoning Enforcement
The City of Hopewell believes that everyone interested in or affected by an issue should have equal access to the planning and development process. Participate by attending meetings, or by providing a comment online on proposed development projects. Check our calendar for upcoming meetings of planning-related Boards and Commissions.
If you desire to participate in the meeting during the public comment period or to speak specifically for the public hearings, please email the Department of Development or call 804-541-2220 to register for the meeting.